Drive Electric Earth Day
EV Expo in Madison
Apr 19, 2023
|Day:||Wednesday, April 19, 2023 NOTE: this event has already happened, find current-year events on the Attend page.|
|Time:||1:00 - 5:00 pm EDT|
|Location:||Sunday Motor Company Cafe
27 King's Road
Madison, NJ 07940
Event ReportThe mayor gave a brief speech.
NJ DEP has named Madison one of 4 NJ towns in the US Destination Electric Program. NJDEP made a program announcement at the EV Expo. We enrolled 25 Madison businesses in the Destination Electric Program.
We displayed the Rutgers Solar-powered racing car at the Expo; there was a lot of interest.
We are still gathering photos and video. However, here is the thank you note I sent to the police, town partners and the venue owner.
We had twice as many cars as either of our previous Expos, great weather, lots of foot traffic and lots of excellent feedback. It would not have been possible without all your efforts.
Some thoughts about the messages we are trying to get out.
- I think the Expo showed people a great variety of EVs.
- I think people are getting the message that EV range is increasing and that chargers are becoming more plentiful. Thanks to DEP and the Destination Electric program for the charger map.
- One area where we should do more for the messaging is in affordability. The more expensive brands always have their demo cars, while the less expensive brands usually bring cars from inventory. As a result we had expensive brands with multiple cars, while some less expensive brands didn’t show. The result is that the public sees an emphasis on $100k cars. (Limiting each brand to one car might help.)
- Also, we had good handouts that listed available EVs with MSRPs, but I didn’t see any that showed total cost of ownership, especially including current incentives. Lots of materials talk about the incentives, but we need to show the total-cost-of-ownership comparisons for the message to sink in. If anyone has a guide that does this, please offer it up. Or we can try to make one.
- One piece of feedback was perhaps to have either a large screen with a scrolling 15-minute info session or perhaps a 15-minute live presentation every hour to address variety, range and affordability.
These thoughts are just meant as food for future planning. By all accounts the Expo was excellent and, again, my thanks to everyone.
This is the third annual EV Expo in Madison. Like the two previous very-successful Expos, this is sponsored by the Environmental Commissions of Madison, Chatham Borough and Chatham Township and will be at the Sunday Motor Company Cafe , car-themed cafe on Kings Road in Madison. It will be on Wednesday April 19 from 1 to 5 pm. We will have 10-15 dealers showing off their newest EVs and answering questions as well. Dealers exhibiting include Tesla, Porsche, Lucid, Mercedes, VW, Subaru, BMW, Toyota, Volvo, Chevrolet, Ford, Audi, Polestar and others. Several dealers will provide test drives. We will also have electric Bicycles to see. As a special feature, the Rutgers Solar Car Team will bring their solar-powered racer. Kings Road will be blocked off we will have much more space than in past years. EV Owners planning to show off their car at the Expo please register on the DEED site or e-mail us ahead of time. Here are photos of the 2022 Expo, the Rutgers Solar-Powered Racer and a link to a short video.
Looking forward to seeing you in Madison April 19 !
There are currently 23 attendees registered.
Owners of These Vehicles Have Registered To Attend
|Tesla Model 3||4|
|BMW i3 REx||1|
|Other Plug-In Vehicle||1|
Registered attendees report 245,599 electric miles driven.